Of all the chocolate cake recipes I have tried, this Hershey’s recipe is hands down my all time favorite. This cake never fails to be moist and & satisfy everyones chocolate craving! (Warning*) This is not a Paleo recipe, however my grandma requested this cake with a fluffy white vanilla frosting for her birthday, so I thought I would share!
Chocolate Cake Ingredients (makes 12 servings)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Fluffy White Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in small saucepan.
- Cover; heat to rolling boil over medium heat.
- Remove cover and boil rapidly, without stirring, to 242 F on candy thermometer.
- As mixture boils, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Pour hot syrup very slowly in a thin stream into the beaten egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed.
- Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla during last minute of beating.