Who doesn’t love a delicious warm soup? Inspired by the Moosewood Restaurant favorite, this variation of the traditional Indian dish makes for a tasty and filling supper. Called Mulligatawny, this dish is a coconut based broth with lots of veggies & spices. Experiment as you like with other vegetables, meats and spices to add your own flavor! (Paleo/Veg/GF)
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/4th Tsp cayenne
- 2 Tsps turmeric
- 1 Tsps ground coriander
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup chopped pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup unsweetened finely grated coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp’s fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp’s chopped cilantro
- In a medium soup pot, saute the onions and celery in the olive oil.
- As the onions become translucent, add the cayenne, turmeric, and ground coriander. Saute for a minute, stirring to prevent the spices from burning.
- Add the stock, salt, carrot, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer the vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers, cauliflower, tomatoes, grated coconut and coconut milk.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the lime juice and cilantro & adjust the spices as desired.
- Sprinkle some more cilantro on top of the soup and serve (soup may be served immediately, however the longer it sits the more flavorful it will become)