My roommate and I had a craving for some Chinese food so instead we went to the store and picked up organic chicken and some simple ingredients to throw together in the crock pot! This chicken turned out simply delicious, and isn’t it that much tastier knowing exactly what ingredients are going into your meal?
Ingredients (10 mins prep, 4 hours on low)
- 8 chicken drumsticks, or meat of choice
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (paleo sub. for soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot powder dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water (paleo sub. for cornstarch)
- 1/2 tablespoon (or more) sesame seeds
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Lightly season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, put into crock pot.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey, coconut aminos, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce.
- Dissolve 4 teaspoons of arrowroot powder in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot.
- Stir to combine with sauce.
- Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallions and use extra sauce on a side of mixed veggies.