Moqueca is a stew made with veggies, coconut milk, spices and fish. Try out this hearty traditional brazilian dish for something different and delicious.
- Firm whitefish (cod or halibut/ 1.5-2lbs)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp lime
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil (traditionally palm oil)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1 tbsp paprika
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- 1 14oz can of coconut milk
- Add olive oil to pan and then add
onions, peppers, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook until softened.
- Next add the tomatoes and onion greens and bring to simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and then remove about half the veggies to make room for the fish. Layer the fish over the veggies and then spoon the other half back on top of the fish.
- Next pour the coconut milk over the the fish and veggies and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add extra seasonings as desired and serve with a side of rice.
Trader Joe’s is my go to spot for frozen fish. They have a wide selection and great prices on quality fish. This week I picked up a couple of cod fillets for dinner which i served over a fresh salad with spring mix, avocado, tomatoes, onions peppers, cucumbers, and sautéed portobello (however they are great served alone as well)!
- 2 cod fillets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots or onions
- ½ teaspoon Annie’s Mustard (or other paleo brand of mustard)
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, parsley, minced garlic, shallots, mustard, almond flour, and lemon juice.
- Season the fillets with a bit of salt and pepper, and heat remaining oil in a skillet.
- Cook fish for 4 minutes and then flip fillet and cook another minute.
- Spoon sauce over the top of each fillet and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until fish is opaque in the center and flakes easily.